AFD FIRE WIRE

• Monday, Feb. 6

Completely locked out

At 8:32 a.m., dispatch notified firefighters from Fire Station No. 3 about a small child who had been accidentally locked inside a parked, running vehicle. Firefighters arrived at the 2000 block of San Antonio Avenue and met with the child's mother. She explained that she had a spare key to the vehicle in a room on the second floor of her home, but that she couldn't get it because she was locked out of her residence as well. Firefighters used a ladder to gain access to the second story, retrieved the spare key, unlocked the car and freed the child.

Suspicious odor fades away

At 11:50 a.m., crewmembers from Fire Station No. 1 arrived on the 800 block of Cedar Street to investigate a suspicious odor in the neighborhood. Though crewmembers did smell a strange odor, they could not find its source. The odor dissipated, and firefighters cleared the call.

Trash can found ablaze

Firefighters from Fire Station No. 2 were dispatched to Woodstock Park to put out a trash can fire. At 2:27 p.m., crewmembers arrived on scene and used a booster line to quickly extinguish the burning can.

Stove smoke out

Dispatch notified crewmembers at Fire Station No. 2 that an alarm was sounding at an apartment complex on the 500 block of Buena Vista Avenue. When crewmembers arrived on scene at 10:07 p.m., residents directed them to a second-floor apartment where they found a great deal of smoke and three people suffering from smoke inhalation. Crewmembers also spotted food burning on the unit's stove. Crewmembers got the people to safety, turned off the stove, removed the burning food and checked to see if there were any other fires inside the apartment. They then used a power fan to ventilate the unit and cleared the call.

• In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 14 calls for emergency medical services on Monday, Feb. 6.

• Tuesday, Feb. 7

Leaking vehicle

At 10:28 a.m., firefighters from Fire Station No. 1 arrived on the 900 block of Broadway to clean up after a vehicle that was leaking fuel. Apparently the vehicle's owner struck an object that punctured the fuel tank. Firefighters used absorbent to remove the fuel that had leaked onto the street. The owner had the vehicle towed and firefighters cleared the call.

Locked out

At 11:13 a.m., crewmembers from Fire Station No. 3 were dispatched to the 1500 block of Schiller Street to help a resident who had locked herself out of her home. When they arrived on scene, crewmembers met with the resident. After verifying the resident's identity, crewmembers used a ladder to gain access to the home's second-story window. They then entered the home, unlocked the front door and cleared the call.

Paint problem

Firefighters from Fire Station No. 1 were dispatched to the 1600 block of Moreland Street after a suspicious liquid was seen near the storm drain. When they arrived on scene at 8:45 p.m., firefighters got to work investigating the substance. They noticed that a painter was nearby so they questioned him. Apparently, the painter had washed his brushes off in the street. Firefighters blocked the paint from entering the storm drains, then called for a hazardous waste company to pick up the paint discharge. • In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 12 calls for emergency medical services on Tuesday, Feb. 7.

• Wednesday, Feb. 8

False alarm

Crewmembers from Fire Station No. 2 were called to a fire alarm sounding at an apartment complex on the 400 block of Buena Vista Avenue. When they arrived on scene at 8:53 p.m. crewmembers began to investigate the building, but found no emergency.

Encinal High alarm

At 3:17 a.m., firefighters from Fire Station No. 2 arrived at Encinal High School to investigate an alarm sounding. Firefighters walked the entire property but found no emergency. Firefighters restored the alarm system and cleared the call. • In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 15 calls for emergency medical services on Wednesday, Feb. 8.

• Thursday, Feb. 9

Carbon monoxide alarm

At 5:05 p.m., crewmembers from Fire Station No. 1 were dispatched to a home on the 1000 block of Post Street after a carbon monoxide detector activated. Crewmembers used an atmospheric monitor to inspect the air inside the home for hazardous gas levels, but found none. Though crewmembers were relatively certain that there were no hazardous gases inside the home, they still requested that PG&E inspect the home.

Closed flue

Firefighters from multiple fire stations were dispatched to a home on the 300 block of Central Avenue after smoke was seen inside it. When they arrived on scene at 5:56 p.m., firefighters met with the homeowner. The homeowner said that when she was trying use her fireplace, smoke began to fill the home. Firefighters determined that the fireplace flue was not fully opened and thus could not properly filter the smoke. Firefighters ventilated the home of all residual smoke and cleared the call.

Heater dust

Crewmembers from Fire Station No. 3 were called to an apartment building on the 1400 block of Bay Street to investigate the report of smoke coming from the structure. When firefighters arrived on scene at 7:48 p.m., the landlord met them and said that when he turned on an apartment heater, the room began to fill with smoke. Crewmembers turned off the wall heater and, because they smelled gas, used an atmospheric monitor to inspect the air inside the apartment. They did not find any hazardous gas. They did, however, determine that dust inside the heater had burned, causing the smoke. Crewmembers advised the landlord to keep the heater turned off until he cleaned it. • In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to eight calls for emergency medical services on Thursday, Feb. 9.

• Friday, Feb. 10

Gas from the dryer At 11:47 a.m., firefighters from Fire Station No. 1 arrived at a business on the 1200 block of Park Street to fix a natural gas leak. They met with the business owner, who said that natural gas was coming out of her industrial dryer. Firefighters turned off the dryer's gas and told the owner not to use the dryer until she had it repaired.

• In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 16 calls for emergency medical services on Friday, Feb. 10.

• Saturday, Feb. 11

Leaking gas

At 8:58 p.m., firefighters from Fire Station No. 1 were called to a home on the 1200 block of Park Avenue after natural gas started leaking from a water heater. Firefighters arrived on scene and met with the homeowner, who directed them to the water heater.

Firefighters confirmed a small natural gas leak, turned off the gas and advised the resident to contact the water heater's service company. • In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 14 calls for emergency medical services on Saturday, Feb. 11.

• Sunday, Feb. 1 2

There were no calls for firefighters on Sunday, Feb. 12. • In their role as paramedics, Alameda firefighters responded to 12 calls for emergency medical services on Sunday, Feb. 12.

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh