History

A clipper ship is a three-masted, full-rigged ship built for speed. Pan Am borrowed the name of this sea-going vessel when it christened its fleet of airplanes.

Aboard a Flying Machine

Jul 21,2021

Pan American World Airways fleet at Alameda Airport consisted of three M-130, “flying ships” that their builder, the Glenn L. Martin Company, called “Martin Ocean Transports.” In keeping with a Pan Am tradition, the planes had the word “Clipper” in their names.

Read More

What’s in a name? Alameda

Jul 14,2021

Creek and rancho (pictured in the 1878 map on the left), township, town and city: all with the name “Alameda.” So how did our fair city fit into this puzzle? See the story on page 12, and find out even more this Saturday, July 17. Dennis Evanosky’s free 60-minute tour begins at 9 a.m.

Read More
The gray areas in this map show the land before the Navy built the air station, whose outline is shown. Three airports are visible on this map: Alameda Airport now buried under runways; Benton Field, now covered by part of the mall and San Francisco Airdrome, on the site of today’s College of Alameda.

Alameda: The Airport City

Jul 08,2021

The Alameda Naval Air Station opened on November 1, 1940. The Navy arrived in a city with an aviation history that stretched back to 1909 and Sunset Aviation Field

Read More
Alameda Museum; Oakland Wiki Caroline Maclean first married William Worthington Chipman, left; five years after William’s death, she married John W. Dwinelle, right.

City Founders Led Tragic Lives

Jun 24,2021

Part two of two

Alamedans today have little connection to the city’s founders. No standing monument to their achievement, no statue or plaque commemorates what the two founding families, the Aughinbaughs and the Chipmans, achieved when Alameda was still a wilderness.

Read More
 Michael Colbruno  Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn spearheaded a movement to mark Gideon Aughinbaugh’s grave at Oakland’s Mountain View Cemetery. Aughinbaugh’s grave was unmarked from his death in 1897 until 1981. It remains unclear where his daughter Ella rests.

Two City Founders Led Tragic Lives

Jun 17,2021

Eric J. Kos

Part one

Alamedans today have little connection to the city’s founders. No standing monument to their achievement, no statue or plaque commemorates what the two founding families, the Aughinbaughs and the Chipmans, achieved when Alameda was still a wilderness.

Read More
Venon Sappers Collection Southern Pacific Railroad used this station on the Alameda Mole as a centerpiece for its new electric train system.

Southern Pacific Railroad Electrifies Alameda

Jun 03,2021

Part one in a series

Francis Marion “Borax” Smith, earned his nickname and a fortune dealing with sodium borate.

On Oct. 26, 1903, Smith’s Key Route system began operating with the ambitious name “The San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose Railway.”

Read More
Courtesy Alamedainfo.com  The 1878 Oddfellows Lodge at Santa Clara Avenue and Park Street as it appeared before being replaced with the building that stands there now in 1927.

Island City Hosted Vast Collection of Social Clubs

May 12,2021

From the Elks to the Eagles and the Oddfellows to the Masons, social clubs in Alameda left permanent marks on our community. The meeting places of these clubs, many originally restricted to White men only, today comprise some of the most recognizable locations in town. Some clubs still operate.

Read More

Pages