On Saturday, Aug. 28, Dennis Evanosky will lead a history walking tour along the Oakland Estuary. Meet at 9 a.m. at the intersection of Fernside Boulevard and Versailles Avenue. We’ll walk across the Fruitvale Bridge, along Oakland’s Alameda Avenue to High Street and back to the start.
Fire destroyed the home built with the money A. A. Cohen received when he sold his railroad to the Big Four
By Dennis Evanosky
Pan American World Airways fleet at Alameda Airport consisted of three M-130, “flying ships” that their builder, the Glenn L. Martin Company, called “Martin Ocean Transports.” In keeping with a Pan Am tradition, the planes had the word “Clipper” in their names.
Creek and rancho (pictured in the 1878 map on the left), township, town and city: all with the name “Alameda.” So how did our fair city fit into this puzzle? See the story on page 12, and find out even more this Saturday, July 17. Dennis Evanosky’s free 60-minute tour begins at 9 a.m.
Part two of two
Alamedans today have little connection to the city’s founders. No standing monument to their achievement, no statue or plaque commemorates what the two founding families, the Aughinbaughs and the Chipmans, achieved when Alameda was still a wilderness.