History

Park Street Frozen in Time

Oct 15,2020

The two photos shown above often come up as topics of conversation on social media. They are seldom shown as a pair, however. These photos were taken minutes apart some time after 1906. The photographer stood on the east side of Park Street and Central Avenue.

Read More

All Aboard on Park Street

Sep 17,2020

In 1890 this station at Park Street and Tilden Way replaced the one that A. A. Cohen had built for his San Francisco & Alameda Railroad in 1864. Cohen sold his railroad to the Central Pacific Railroad in 1868. The very first transcontinental railroad train stopped here on Sept. 6, 1869.

Read More
Charles Kuchel & Emil Dresel, Lithographers &nbsp&nbsp In 1855, the Methodist church built this school in the Federalist style complete with a portico and a cupola. The two-story building that stood on College Avenue housed a dormitory and classrooms.

What’s in a Name? College Avenue

Sep 10,2020

Homeowners on College Avenue own property with a chain of title that stretches back to San Francisco Sheriff and Texas Ranger Jack Hays and his deputy sheriff and fellow Texas Ranger, John Caperton.

Read More
Library of Congress &nbsp&nbsp Well-wishers look on as Pilot Ed Musick and his crew board China Clipper in Alameda on Nov. 22, 1935, for their historic flight to Manila. Note that the numbers on the wing end with 16. This gave the plane its nickname “Sweet 16.”

Pan Am Flew Alameda into the History Books

Aug 13,2020

In its Nov. 21, 1935, edition, the Oakland Tribune informed its readers that “The largest mail load ever carried by an airplane was placed aboard one of Glenn L. Martin Company’s flying ships China Clipper.

Read More

Pages