Fire Strikes Closed Downtown Business; No One Injured

Fire Strikes Closed Downtown Business; No One Injured

 

A Tuesday morning fire at a long-shuttered bar on Park Street sparked an Alameda Fire Department (AFD) investigation. The fire broke out at John Patrick’s, an old dive bar at 1813 Park St. 

The fire was reported at 7:59 a.m. AFD spokesperson Capt. Jim Colburn said that firefighters made short work of the blaze, which originated in a debris pile outside the building. The fire spread to three cars parked next to the building. They extinguished it in about 10 minutes. 

The bar closed in 2011 after its owners defaulted on their taxes to the tune of $11,772. The city once expressed an interest in buying the 5,850-square-foot property, which is next door to the now-closed Ron Goode Toyota. 

No one was hurt extinguishing the blaze, Colburn said.